Gary is the owner of Go! Running. His passion for coaching stems from a lifetime of running, being coached, and coaching others.
“I grew up in England and started training at the age of eight when I joined the swim team. However, it was when I tried running at the age 13 that I discovered a lifelong calling. I was immediately competitive on a national level and set a number of national junior records. I made numerous British teams and set the 1500m WR for sixteen year olds. My UK track career culminated at the 1988 Olympic trials for 1500m where I made the final but, sadly, not the Olympic team.
During my running journey, I earned a track scholarship to the U of A where I am proud to have been a member of 7 National Championship Track and Cross Country teams. I was also a two time all-American, won multiple Southwest Conference titles, and had a mile PR of 3:57.
After the 1500m Olympic trials, I began running marathons. I have completed several, including Boston, New York, Chicago, Marine Corps (DC), London, Mount Dessert Island, and Dallas White Rock. My personal best of 2:28.19 earned me a spot in the 1992 UK Olympic marathon trials held in conjunction with that year’s London Marathon. During my competitive marathon phase I was working full time for a Fortune 50 company so I understand very well the constraints and challenges of working and training.
I have experience in other sports too, which has helped me integrate some different training, nutrition, and racing techniques into coaching.
- Cycling – reached CAT3 level and 2nd in AR State champs.
- Triathlon – Arkansas State Champion, qualified for Half Ironman World Championships, and Ironman best time of 10hrs 25min.
In addition to participating in running and cycling, I coach and love giving back to the sport that has given me so much:
- USAT certified coach.
- Volunteer coached Little Rock Catholic High School Track and XC for 14 years. Helped 23 boys make it to Division 1 teams.
- Hold a week long kid’s summer Cross Country camps. We teach them about training and racing, but mainly show them that running can be fun.
- I coach personalized and group training programs. My athlete’s goals range from competing well in high school cross country to a life goal of qualifying for The Boston Marathon.
- Race Director, Go! Mile – for 10 years, a 1 mile road race in mid June, approximately 600 runners with Elites who come in from around the country.
- Race Director for Go!bbler Turkey Trot – a food drive fun run for approximately 2,200 runners from over 20 states. In 2018 and 2019, each year we collected enough food for over 15,000 meals.